Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

really raw edible sproutable rice?
Posted by: THeSt0rm ()
Date: March 13, 2011 12:08AM

So I've seen that wild rice isn't really raw.

But recently I've seen black rice being talked about. My local chinese store carries "Black Glutinous Rice" and a red Thai rice. I think the red rice is the same as Bhutanese rice.

I was thinking of getting both of these to see if they sprout.

I've sprouted brown rice before but even though they sprout and get tails they have a chalky taste and texture that is hard and crunchy, not at all soft.

I went to the health food store today and bought some "Forbidden Black Rice" from China, Lotus Foods brand. I soaked some and just hrs later they opened up and were edible and soft. My guess is they are not raw for them to be so soft... but then again they cd be I don't know. I doubt it. Next time I'll buy the glutinous black rice which looks more like brown rice that is black or a deep brown/purple-blackish color and the I'll also get the red rice... see if they sprout.

Then there's also the one I got form Lundberg Farms (I think that's the name) which sells a special black rice variety "blend" of short grain Japonica. I'm soakinig these right now and after about 4 hrs they're still hard and chalky. I think these will sprout and stay chalky and crunchy/hard like the brown rice I once sprouted.

I'm hoping to find a truly raw soft and edible rice sprout. I've seen them being mentioned elsewhere in the raw food community so now Im searching. There's jusut so many varieties it's hard to know which is which. There's many types of black rice, and wild rice, and black wild rice, and red rice, whih is probably just red thai rice.

Anyways.. insight would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: really raw edible sproutable rice?
Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 13, 2011 04:53AM

Why rice? A lot of work to make it sproutable, some foods are not eaten all or eaten cooked. There are so many other sproutable grains

Date: March 13, 2011 06:26AM

why not?

if there is a type that is edible...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 13, 2011 09:42AM

Rice is considered a pretty acidic food, there are healthier grains. Try kamut sometime, it sprouts well and is very hearty.

Date: March 13, 2011 05:15PM

Sometimes it is not a matter of acidic or not, we were raised with something, and we love to eat it, once in a while it will not hurt, actually this make life more interesting. Do all of the healthy stuffs and have a cup of rice at the end.
The reason most people fail on the raw diet is that they want to totally turn away from the past which is not possible in most cases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 05:17PM by madinah.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 13, 2011 05:18PM

LOL you will not find it similar to the rice you are used to eating at ALL. If you're trying to replace rice there are some grated jicima or cauliflower recipes out there that come sort of close. Sprouted rice will be something else entirely.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 13, 2011 05:59PM

gotta agree with that, honestly, the best replacement ive had for rice, was sprouted, then cooked...sorry, its cooked, but its the only thing ive found that takes care of the rice craving...at least it was sprouted first...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: March 13, 2011 06:35PM

Food is not just nutrients, it is a cultural thing especially when visiting GrandMa, she would not understand sproutable rice as a replacement for her favorite dish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 06:36PM by madinah.

Date: March 13, 2011 07:02PM

I think you misunderstood my statement, the sprouted rice tastes almost exactly the same as normal to me once I cook it...I just feel its a bit healthier as its sprouted, either way the taste is about the same...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: March 13, 2011 07:59PM

How many days of sprouting?

Date: March 13, 2011 08:02PM

lol well i have had sprouted grain but besides quinoa and buckwheat they all take too long to be edible. at least quinoa and buckwheat can be eaten a day later.

Date: March 13, 2011 10:21PM

I just sprouted them till they just started sprouting, some sprouted in as little as two days, some took much much longer, so it was kind of a mix of various stages by the time most had sprouted, honestly im surprised they had sprouted at all, as I had just bought them at the supermarket... and they werent anything special, just brown california basmati... I just tried to sprout it as an experiment

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 14, 2011 06:42AM

The whole acid/alkaline theory doesn't hold up anyway but yeah there are healthier grains than rice such as quiona.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: March 15, 2011 02:38PM

powerlifer, could you elaborate some or post some links which debunk the acid thing? I've only recently begun to look into it, so I don't have a strong opinion one way or another. What I will say, is that the diet does seem to have some merit when you look at the foods that are promoted (fresh fruits and veggies), and those that are shunned (meat and dairy, stimulants, processed food).

Storm, I always enjoyed lundburg farms "wehani" sprouted. It is quite flavorful, but not that soft. It takes a bit of chewing. Also, it takes a bit of heat during the soaking and sprouting process. I used to place it over the pilot on my stovetop.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables